Delicious Taco Cornbread Recipe!
I’m excited to share this easy taco cornbread recipe with you today! It is a delicious spin on tacos, but instead of tortillas or taco shells, you use moist, delicious cornbread! I know your family will LOVE it. It’s officially feeling like fall here in Utah and I am really digging the comfort foods like this one right about now!
Making Taco Cornbread is super easy, which is one of the things that I love about it. Here’s what you need:
To make the cornbread (see instructions in recipe directions):
To make the meat mixture:
Toppings—you can top it however you like, but here are some ideas:
- To make the cornbread (see instructions in recipe directions):
- 2 pkg Jiffy corn muffin mix, prepared (basically requires eggs & water)
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
- To make the meat mixture:
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- Water as directed on taco seasoning packet
- Toppings---you can top it however you like, but here are some ideas:
- Lettuce, chopped
- Tomato, diced
- Black olives, sliced
- Avocado slices
- Grated cheese (I use cheddar...you use your favorite kind)
- Sour cream
- First, you are going to brown the ground beef, then drain the meat. Return the meat to the frying pan. Now add the package of taco seasoning and water as directed on the taco seasoning package (yes, you have more meat here than the taco seasoning packet says to use...that's ok). Once your meat looks like...well, taco meat...add the drained black beans and heat through. Reduce heat once it is warmed through.
- While your meat/black bean mixture is heating through, you can get started on making the cornbread. If you have some amazing cornbread recipe, go for it. As for me, I don't. I just use Jiffy. I don't use a lot of storebought mixes, but cake mix and Jiffy corn muffin mix are two that are on my must-have list for my food storage closet 🙂
- Make cornbread per the instructions on the jiffy corn muffin box (you are using two packages, so you double the cornbread recipe, of course).
- I like to add a can of drained whole kernel corn to the mix before baking. The corn gives the cornbread a nice texture and a more robust flavor!
- After you have mixed it well, pour the mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan that has been prepared with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes or so (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
- Once it is ready, cut the cornbread into slices and put on serving plates, then let everyone add their taco toppings! You can do it in whatever order you like, although I do recommend putting the lettuce on the cornbread first-it keeps the grease from the meat from making the cornbread wet.
This recipe is a crowd pleaser!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned and Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use, 10.25", Black
Portable Retractable Toothpick Holder with Bottle Opener Automatic Retro Pop Up Toothpick Dispenser Toothpicks Case Storage Organizer Container Decoration for Kitchen (Peacock- Tin Color)
PYREX 3QT Glass Baking Dish with Blue Cover 9" x 13" (Pyrex)
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 slice of taco cornbread
Amount Per Serving Calories 290Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 67mgSodium 356mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 22g